Saturday 11 April 2015

Discovering Huaraz :: My first few months with Seeds of Hope!

When I arrived in Huaraz two months ago I was having a hard time picturing what lay ahead. I had volunteered abroad before, but never in a country where I didn’t speak the language or on a continent I’d only really come to know through Che Guevara biographies and Neruda’s love poems. Needless to say, I'd given my vision for the next year a romantic tint that was quick to subside to sheer nervousness as my departure date neared. By the time I was soaring over the Atlantic I had cross-examined every possible scenario of what was to come, leaving only further questions scattered across my anxious mind: ‘Maybe the people wont be as friendly as everyone has said?’ ‘Will I have to have cold showers for a year?’ ‘Will I be able to buy the soap I like and decent tea?’ But, most importantly ‘What if the kids don’t like me?’

I had never been to South America before, let alone Peru. I knew little Spanish and was freaked out by the thought of not being able to communicate with those I was working with. I was walking away from a steady and all too familiar life back in the city I grew up in and, for a split second on that plane, I did wonder if this was really the best step forward for me. Of course, these feelings are natural when you pick up your life and move it thousands of miles away and I had always taken pleasure in trading in comfort for the great unknown.

After spending a day in the sweltering Lima heat I took the dusty road away from the coast to the foot of the first mountain. It wasn’t long before I was surrounded by vivacious green cliffs stacked like dominoes ranging as far as the eye could see, winding pathways zig-zagging through thick cloud, and great, babbling rivers cascading through the centre of tiny villages. 

To say the least, my nerves were all in vain. My first few days in Huaraz were nothing short of delightful. From the warm welcome by Yuri and the volunteers who were here when I arrived, to the first morning at the school and the charming customs from all the children, I felt certain I’d come to a great place. The mandatory kiss on the cheek and curious smiles from everyone went a long way in diminishing any uncomfortable “first day” barriers.

The city itself is far larger than I expected it to be. There are plenty of funky little cafes to spend an afternoon getting buzzed on strong coffee, delicious and fresh food on almost every corner and a selection of hip and bustling bars serving up Huaraz’s very own craft beer, Sierra Andina.

And this is all before you get to the best part: The spine of thorny mountains running directly alongside us. Waking up in the morning to watch the frosted tips of some of the tallest peaks in Latin America submerge from departing cloud cover is staggering. Needless to say, the weekend excursions are endless, every trip to the Huascarán National Park nothing short of invigorating.


The school can go from calm to hectic in a matter of moments, dozens of eager faces flood through the door to welcome you each day. With so many vulnerable and economically-disadvantaged children in Peru, many of whom work in the streets to supplement their families income, I was amazed to see how gregarious and comfortable they all were around new people who arrived from every corner of the planet. No doubt, several of the children suffer more than difficult conditions at home and have had to grow up very fast. But there was no adjustment period, no awkward few days for us to get used to each other. From the moment I stepped through the door I was treated like they’d known me forever. Like a part of the family. They are an absolute joy, to say the least.

The work Yuri, Mariella and the rest of the Seeds staff do here is nothing short of spectacular. I had spent a lot of time researching various organisations in Peru, conscious of not being caught up in any kind of “volunteer tourism” where my time here would not be directly useful to those I was coming to help. I can tell you whole heartedly that Seeds of Hope is far from that. Not only is volunteering at Seeds reasonably priced as far as volunteer opportunities go, from the very first day I was made aware of just how much this programme has impacted, and still is impacting, the lives of these young people.

The four young men who work at Seeds are all examples of how successful the system is. Not only has the organisation hired them as teachers since they graduated in order to keep them in steady employment, all of them went on to higher education and are either still studying or have completed their undergraduate degrees or MA’s.

The organisation works closely with recent graduates to help them with the extra tutoring to pass vital (and very difficult) university exams. They provide all children with a nutritious meal each day, educate them on health and hygiene and implement various projects into their weekly routine (thanks to the wealth of fantastic volunteers we’ve had over the years), working with them in sex education, child psychology and physical fitness. They work closely with the poorest families and help to provide them with school supplies, uniforms and extra food, coming up with imaginative fundraising strategies to raise money for those struggling to make ends meet.


The children still enrolled at Seeds adore the school, are respectful and motivated when it comes to education, and clearly see it as another home away from home where they feel safe and cared for. As children here tend to be passed on from grade to grade without having necessarily achieved the knowledge to do so, many kids are left behind, drop out at a young age without having the basic skills to improve their lives, and therefore continuing the cycle of poverty. Seeds aims to tackle these issues by keeping children in education and empowering  them to change their lives for themselves.

During my first few weeks here, thanks to the wonderful contributions of organisations such as The One Percent Scheme in the UK, we were able to take the children on an incredible trip to the ancient city of Cerro Sechin before moving onto the beach for the afternoon. Not only was the day educational (for me also!), but it was evident the kids don’t get the opportunity to leave Huaraz much and loved every minute. I was absolutely amazed at how well-behaved they were all day, even though we did a total of around 8 hours driving! They clearly had a ball.


I am currently sitting on the balcony of one of Huaraz’s cafes watching a distant storm cut its way through the layers of seemingly infinite mountains and wondering where the rest of the day will take me. My volunteers are all off walking around Lake Llanganuco, a tour I’ve done a few times now, so a day relaxing and writing from the observation deck felt necessary. I haven’t had a dull day here so far and I’m excited for each week to come, hanging out with the kids, learning new and incredible things about this wonderful culture, and hopefully being of some use along the way!

Thanks for reading. If you’re interested in volunteering with Seeds of Hope please fill out an application form here, or send us an email at seedsofhoperu@hotmail.com!


Written by our International Coordinator, Alanna Byrne.

No comments:

Post a Comment