Tuesday 9 September 2014

Seeds Success Story Series :: Wily Oncoy Robles


Wily Oncoy Robles
Seeds Alumnus and current Volunteer
Cumple: 08-03-93
Edad: 21 años

Universidad: Institution of Gastronomy Cestec Peru.
Occupation: Professional Chef & Volunteer at Seeds of Hope

Wily decided to study to become a Chef because he has always enjoyed cooking - his Grandparents taught him a few recipes at a young age. During Wily's time with Seeds, he was encouraged to pursue an avenue in which he felt passion. This was an easy decision for Wily -he enjoys being creative and going on culinary adventures in the kitchen.

Lately, Wily has been teaching group cooking lessons to a handful of Seeds of Hope volunteers. Wily's lessons are reflective of cultural influences and he loves to use local ingredients, like Quinoakiwichachili peppers and rocoto peppers. His lessons have captured the art of making Cevichelomo saltadoAjí de Gallina and cuy (guinea pig). This experience will continue to give Wily the confidence to grow in his profession.

Wily is becoming a master at baking as well. He has been commissioned to bake cakes for birthdays, going away parties and holiday events. Wily recently baked cookies for a educational and tasty activity for the students at Seeds.  Read about the cookie project: http://seedsofhoperu.blogspot.com/2014/07/galletas-galletas-galletas.html

Interview:
(Conducted in Spanish and translated)

Q: Wily, what did you love about attending Seeds of Hope as a student:

A:  My time at Seeds was good. I met lots of lovely people like Yuri amongst other volunteers and students that helped us study and helped us do our homework like maths, divisions, multiplication as well as other things.

Seeds taught us a lot of things, like looking presentable, being respectful and teaching us the importance of punctuality. 

I have many good memories from Seeds. I was a very happy as a student -- I liked the teachers, being taught by the volunteers. The volunteers and the teachers gave me the strength and the motivation to cook and become a chef.

Seeds helped me a lot with my ambitions and it also provided me with a lot of friends and support.

Q: Why did you decide to study to become a Chef:
A: I really loved cooking -- I have liked it since I was a child. My grandparents taught me how to cook. 

Vision for the future: 
A: I would like to run my own restaurant here in Huaraz and maybe even one abroad (!). Maybe an international restaurant with international and Peruvian food and both Peruvian and international people could eat at my restaurant. 


More Seeds of Hope Success Stories can be found here:


written by Profesora Lacy

    

No comments:

Post a Comment