Tuesday 9 January 2018

Santa Dash 2017

Posing in front of the school before the Santa Dash

"Escúchame, escúchame," yelled the two starters. There was a tense moment of silence before the starter uttered the phrase, "ready, set, GO!" that caused the beginning of a stampede, with each participant -- dressed in Santa hats -- clearly focused on the upcoming journey to the local Mirador de Rataquenua. 



Right off the line, students were sprinting with total disregard for the high altitude and effort placed into the careful preparation of the event. 

What an exciting finish!
The Santa Dash has been a Seeds of Hope fundraiser for the last five years; this event is an excuse to have a great time here in Peru, while the organization receives many end-of-year donations from donors around the world. This year, the Santa Dash raised money for the continuation of the feeding program for the 2018 calendar year. (The campaign page will be active until year-end: https://www.omprakash.org/global/seeds-of-hope/crowdfund/santa-dash-2017---seeds-of-hope). Many children at Seeds of Hope are at risk for malnutrition because they do not receive enough protein in their diets. At Seeds, we strive to combat malnutrition by providing a protein-rich meal following each session at Seeds. We believe that children who are well-fed are 
primed to perform better in school. 
almost at the mirador!


on the way back down to Huaraz


a volunteer, Hannah, with the children


international coordinator, Melanie, presenting the primaria winner with his soccer ball


Upon reaching the mirador, the each participant was given a bottle of water, and then we presented a soccer ball to each of the fastest girl and boy in secundaria and primaria. Then, we headed back down to Huaráz, where Chef Wily was waiting at the school with a delicious meal.

Some quotes from the Seeds children when questioned about the success of the 2017 Santa Dash:


Me gusta mucho [el] santa dash porque corremos y me encanta correr vamos con gorros y esperó mucho este momento Santa Dash. Navidad y mi cumpleaños que es el 27 de diciembre me encanta esa fecha mucho. [I loved the Santa Dash because we ran and I love to run. We went with [Santa] hats and I waited a long time for this event. Christmas and my birthday which is the 27 of December [are coming soon] I love this time of year so much.] 
Keyla

Nosotros fuimos en la carerra de santa dash y era bonito y ahi ganó Yosmela ganó en la carrera y Adhemir y yo me cansé cuando estaba corriendo y nos tomo foto y después nos fuimos en Seeds comimos arroz chufa y después nos fuimos en nuestras casas.🏡 [We went in the Santa Dash race and it was wonderful. Yosmela won the race, and Adhemir and I became tired while we were running and we took a photo. Afterwards, we returned to Seeds where we ate chufa rice [fried rice] and then we went home.]

Venimos a Seeds para ponernos nuestros trajes de santa  y llegó el momento de la carrera de santa Dash todos corrimos y llegó primero Adhemir y Yosmela de premio les regalo una pelota⚽. [We came to Seeds to put on our Santa suits and then the moment arrived of the start of the Santa Dash race. We all ran, Adhemir arrived before us, and Yosmela received a soccer ball as a prize for her victory.]
Amanta

La carrera de Santa Dash estaba muy bonito y estaba cansado lo que nunca y momento que llegar segundo pero estoy feliz. Algo es algo. Bravo. Luego llevemos en Seeds y miremos la Pantera Rosa. Luego comimos rico y me fui a mi casa y le conté a mi mamá. Fin. [The Santa Dash race was very lovely, and I was tired more than ever. I came in second but I am happy. Well, that's just how things go. Afterward, the teachers took us back to Seeds, where we watched the Pink Panther. Later, we ate delicious food and I went home and told my mom everything about the day. The end]
-Ronal

Luego de la carrera de Santa Dash me puse muy nervio porque tenía mucho miedo dé llegar último puesto y luego de pensar que iba llegar primer puesto me puse muy contento y luego de la carrera nos fuimos a Seeds a comer arroz chawfa nos fuimos a nuestras casas yo le conté a mi papá y a mi mamá y toda mi familia se pusieron muy contento y mi mamá me abrazo abrazó con todas sus fuerza ye puse yo también muy 😊 y juego le dije a toda mi familia también se pusieron muy 😊y luego estaba oscureciendo y me puse mi pijama y me fui dormir. [Then the Santa Dash race, I was very nervous because I was terrified of finishing last. Later I thought that I was going to win first place, and I became very happy. After the race, we went to Seeds to eat chifa rice [fried rice] and then we went to our homes and I told my parents[about the race]. My mom and dad were very happy for me and my mom hugged me as hard as she could, which also made me very happy. Then I told my entire family, who also became very happy. As it was getting dark, I put on my pijamas and went to sleep.]
Adhemir 

No comments:

Post a Comment